Happening Now

#MusicReview Theby M - “I DID 2” #MixtapeAlert @theby_m


April 16 saw the daylight of the second mixtape of Theby M - an Angolan American rapper representing Salt Lake City of the Beehive State. 


The mixtape is titled I DID 2 with a theme of an outsider making it happen and making a difference in the saturated hip hop music scene. The tone is set by imposing album cover. An alien (an outsider), against the backdrop of the Egyptian might, descended upon this Earth to bestow humanity with a blasting beat sound and uniquely characteristic bilingual lyrics.


The mixtape opens with Baby Bela. The song is a naturally blended duet featuring Angelino artist Louie V. It is a catchy sound and, in all likelihood, you will be waking up singing it upon hearing one single time. This is followed by equally catchy Mamazinha where the seeds of the artist’s bilingual strength are sown. The harmonic mix of English and melodic Portuguese is further developed in DM, TB Records and culminates in a masterful F.W.D that spoils the listener with a banging beat and powerful lyrics that makes the song a force to reckon. The mixtape also includes highlights such as Hollywood Dreams and My Fam - a tribute to man’s eternal struggle against adversity and exile. 


All in all, after 40 minutes of I DID 2, I believe that Theby M indeed made a strong statement showcasing his artistic and innovative talent. I remain tuned and curious to what artist yet has to offer. Meanwhile, with a volume turned up to a maximum, I hit a repeat button on I DID 2!




Comments